CHAPTER 11 Him?
7 And he from within shall
E. Seeking the Lord answer and say, Trouble me
Daily, 11:1-13 not: the door is now shut, and
(cp. Mt.6:5-15; my children are with me in
cp. Mk.11:20-26) bed; I cannot rise and give
1 Jesus prayed And it came to pass, that, as 8 I say unto you, Though he b. The point: Perseverance
a. The disciples asked he was praying in a certain will not rise and give him, & endurance receive
Jesus to teach them place, when he ceased, one of because he is his friend, yet what is requested
how to pray his disciples said unto him, because of his importunity he
b. John had taught his Lord, teach us to pray, as will rise and give him as
disciples to pray John also taught his disciples. many as he needeth.
2 Jesus’ model prayer 2 And he said unto them, 9 And I say unto you, Ask, c. The exhortation
a. Thank God When ye pray, say, Our Fa- and it shall be given you; 1) Ask—shall be given
1) For being our Father ther which art in heaven, Hal- seek, and ye shall find; 2) Seek—shall find
2) For heaven lowed be thy name. Thy knock, and it shall be opened 3) Knock—shall be
b. Praise His name kingdom come. Thy will be unto you. opened
c. Pray done, as in heaven, so in 10 For every one that d. The answer assured
1) For His kingdom earth. asketh receiveth; and he that
2) For daily bread 3 Give us day by day our seeketh findeth; and to him
daily bread. that knocketh it shall be
3) For forgiveness 4 And forgive us our sins; opened.
for we also forgive every one 11 If a son shall ask bread 4 God’s part in prayer
that is indebted to us. And of any of you that is a father, a. The illust.: God is not
lead us not into temptation; will he give him a stone? or evil, but He is good—
4) For deliverance but deliver us from evil. if he ask a fish, will he for He is just like a father
3 Man’s part in prayer
5 And he said unto them, fish give him a serpent?
a. The illust.: Man is to Which of you shall have a 12 Or if he shall ask an egg,
persevere & endure friend, and shall go unto him will he offer him a scorpion?
in prayer at midnight, and say unto 13 If ye then, being evil, b. The point: God is most
him, Friend, lend me three know how to give good gifts willing to give—espe-
loaves; unto your children: how cially the Holy Spirit to
6 For a friend of mine in his much more shall your hea- dwell within man’s
journey is come to me, and I venly Father give the Holy heart & life
have nothing to set before Spirit to them that ask him?
BELIEVER’S LIFE & WALK: BASIC ESSENTIALS
E. Seeking the Lord Daily, 11:1-13
(11:1-13) Introduction: this is one of the most thorough passages in all of Scripture dealing with the great subject of prayer.
It is a passage that should be studied time and again.
1. Jesus prayed (v.1).
2. Jesus’ model prayer (v.2-4).
3. Man’s part in prayer (v.5-10).
4. God’s part in prayer (v.11-13).
(11:1) Jesus Christ, Prayer Life: Jesus prayed. It had been predicted that He would give Himself to prayer (Ps.109:4),
and He was always praying. (See Introduction, Special Features, pt.7 for a complete list of Jesus’ recorded prayer times.)
⇒ He prayed at His baptism (Lk.3:21).
⇒ He prayed during His temptation (Lk.5:16).
⇒ He continued all night in prayer (Lk.6:12).
⇒ He was alone praying (Lk.9:18).
⇒ He went up into a mountain to pray (Lk.9:28).
⇒ He was now praying in a certain place (Lk.11:1).
While Jesus prayed, something caught the eye and ear of the disciples. Apparently, they were off to the side someplace
but within sight and hearing. Three things stirred them to ask Jesus to teach them to pray.
1. Jesus often prayed, and He emphasized prayer as one of the greatest needs of human life. He always insisted that it
was the source of His strength in living and serving God. Therefore, the disciples were aroused to hunger after the same
strength for life and service.
2. Jesus prayed as a Son to His Father, and such intimacy stirred the disciples to want the same kind of relationship
3. John had taught His disciples to pray. It was a common practice for a teacher to instruct his disciples in prayer. Je-
sus’ disciples used this as the basis to ask Him: “Lord, teach us to pray.”
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24
| Page 25
| Page 26
| Page 27
| Page 28
| Page 29
| Page 30
| Page 31
| Page 32
| Page 33
| Page 34
| Page 35
| Page 36
| Page 37
| Page 38
| Page 39