This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Saint
Petersburg
Mosque Russia
Opened in 1913, It was the largest within 10 years for the construction of the are covered with mosaic ceramics of sky-
mosque in Europe, its minarets attaining mosque. They organised collections in light-blue colour. Skilled craftsmen from
48 meters in height and the impressive towns and providences of Russia and Central Asia took part working on the
dome rising 39 meters high. The mosque received donations from rich sponsors. In mosque. The facades are decorated with
is situated in downtown St Petersburg, addition the committee input securities in sayings from Quran using the characteristic
so its azure dome is perfectly visible total amount of 142, 000 rubles and also Arabian calligraphy. Internal columns are
from the Trinity Bridge across the Neva. stamps for mosque’s project. The biggest made from green marble. woman pray in
It can accommodate up to five thousand donor was Said Abdoul Ahad, Emir of on the first floor, above the western part
people. Bochara who undertook all expenses for of the hall. The mosque was covered by
The founding stone was laid in 1910 to the building. huge special made carpets weaved by the
commemorate the 25th anniversary of the The location of the mosque was Central Asian craftsmen.
reign of Abdul Ahat Khan in Bukhara. By symbolic, sited opposite the Peter and The St. Petersburg Mosque was closed
that time, the Muslim community of the Paul’s Fortress, in the city centre. The and was made into a warehouse during
Russian capital exceeded 8,000 people. permission to purchase the site was given the Second World War. At the request of
The projected structure was capable by Emperor Nicholas II in Peterhoff on 3 the first Indonesian President, Soekarno
of accommodating most of them. The July 1907. That autumn, the committee (whilst visiting the city), the mosque was
architect Nikolay Vasiliev patterned the approved the project by architect Nikolay returned to the Muslim community of the
mosque after Gur-e Amir, the tomb of Vasiliev, the engineer Stepan Krichinskiy, city in 1956, ten days after his visit. A
Tamerlane in Samarkand. Its construction and construction was overseen by major restoration of a mosque was made
was completed by 1921. academic Alexander von Gogen. The in 1980.
People are separated by gender during building facade was made by combining
prayer, females prayed on the first floor, both oriental ornaments and turquoise
while the males prayed on the ground floor. blue mosaic.
The Mosque was closed to worshippers On 3 February 1910, the brick laying
from 1940 to 1956. ceremony was performed by Ahun
History
Bayazitov, attended by government,
In 1882, Selim-Girei Tevkelev who
religious and social figures. Among those
in 1865 was appointed the Mufti of
who attended was Amir Buharskiy, Harusin,
Orenburg turned to and obtained
Novikov, the ambassadors of Turkey and
agreement from minister Count Tolstoy
Persia, Sultanov the Orenburg’s Muftiy,
with the requirement for a mosque in St.
and Tevkelev, the leader of the Muslims
Petersburg. In 1906, the Minister formed
party in the Duma .
a special committee headed by Ahun
The walls were made with grey granite
Ataulla Bayazitov to collect 750 000 rubles
and the dome and both minarets (tower)
29
Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32
Produced with Yudu - www.yudu.com